|Single by YG featuring Nipsey Hussle|
|from the album Still Brazy|
|Released||March 30, 2016|
|YG singles chronology|
|Nipsey Hussle singles chronology|
"FDT" ("Fuck Donald Trump") is a hip hop song by YG and Nipsey Hussle, and is the second single from the album Still Brazy. The song is a strong criticism of the policies of then Republican nominee for the 2016 presidential election, Donald Trump.
The track was recorded in about an hour, and was inspired by Hussle's positive experience of working with Mexican immigrants to the US. It begins with soundbites from several Black Americans who were ejected from a Trump rally in Valdosta, Georgia.
In April 2016, the LAPD shut down a video shoot for the song being filmed on the corner of Crenshaw Boulevard and 71st Street, Los Angeles following a tip-off. There were no arrests, and a police spokesman later said there was no evidence of violence. Footage from the police raid was included in the final video.
According to YG, the US Secret Service attempted to halt the album's release because of the lyrical content of this song, but were unsuccessful, though a portion of the track was "blanked" before release. YG considered dropping the track from the album, worrying it would not be released, but was persuaded by producer Steve-O Carless to keep it. The track as released has gaps where controversial lines were removed.
The track became increasingly popular throughout 2016. YG called his summer tour to promote Still Brazy the "Fuck Donald Trump Tour" and the song was remixed by G-Eazy and Macklemore, featuring new verses criticising Trump's comments on banning Muslims from the US. Following the election, which saw Trump become president-elect, YG performed the song as the closing number in his set at the 2016 Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival to a positive reception.
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||10|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||50|
- "YG & Nipsey Hussle Discuss Their Anti-Donald Trump Track 'FDT' & Why 'Trump Is Not the Answer'". Billboard. April 1, 2016. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- "YG & Nipsey Hussle Team for Anti-Trump Track 'FDT (F-ck Donald Trump)'". Billboard. March 30, 2016. Retrieved November 22, 2016.
- "YG and Nipsey Hussle's 'FDT (F--- Donald Trump)' Video Shoot Shut Down By Cops". Billboard. April 4, 2016. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- Locket, Dee (June 16, 2016). "YG on His Anti-Trump Song Getting Censored, Black-on-Black Crime, and Life After Near-Death". Retrieved November 18, 2016.
- "YG Says Secret Service Reached Out Following Release of Anti-Trump Song, May Try to Take His Album Off Shelves". Billboard. April 27, 2016. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- "YG Talks Summer Protest Anthem 'FDT (F—k Donald Trump)'". Rolling Stone. September 1, 2016. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- "YG Shares “FDT” (Fuck Donald Trump) Remix Featuring G-Eazy and Macklemore". Pitchfork. Retrieved November 18, 2016.
- Cosores, Philip (November 15, 2016). "There’s Really Nothing Quite Like Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- August Brown (November 17, 2016). "'I feel good for speaking up': YG on his 2016 protest anthem that goes after Donald Trump". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 18, 2016.
- "YG – Chart history" Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 for YG. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- "YG – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for YG. Retrieved November 16, 2016.